Terms & Conditions
Last-minute telephone bookings
- Telephone us on your day of arrival, or one day before arrival, to make a last-minute telephone booking for up to 8 people.
- You can call us any time of the day or night.
- On your day of arrival you should check in before 15:00 (3pm).
- If you are late we will cancel your booking.
Online bookings for up to 8 people
- You can book up to 8 beds in shared single-sex rooms via this website.
- You need a credit card or Paypal account to pay 12% of the total bill; there is no booking fee.
- The remaining 88% needs to be paid when you arrive at the hostel – you can pay with cash or by credit/debit/bank card.
- If you do not arrive by midnight on your arrival date the remaining cost of the first night will be charged to your credit card and any remaining nights will be cancelled.
- If you want to cancel your booking please e-mail or phone us.
- If you cancel too late the cost of the first night will be charged to your credit card (see below for details).
- If you have more than one bed of the same room-type we will do our best to accommodate you in the same room, but we cannot guarantee that you will be together.
Bookings for more 9 or more people
- See Terms and conditions for groups for more details.
- The Shelter hostels are no-smoking, no-drugs and no-alcohol (smoking cigarettes is allowed in the garden).
- All the rooms are single-sex: there are separate rooms for men and women.
- All bathroom facilities are shared with other guests, except the en-suite rooms in Shelter City which have private bathroom in the room (with toilet, shower and sink).
- There is no lock-out and no curfew: once you are checked in, you may enter and leave the hostel whenever you like.
- We open at 08:00 (8am) each morning for new arrivals. We clean all the rooms in the morning and so your room should be ready from 13:30 (1.30pm) but you may check in earlier and leave your luggage for free at reception if there is space. You need to check in before midnight.
- On your day of departure you should leave your room and empty your locker by 10:00 (10am), but may store your luggage for free at reception if there is space.
- The atmosphere of the hostel is best suited to those between 15 and 40 years old, but over 40's are also welcome if you can climb into top bunk-beds and don’t mind a young atmosphere in the hostel.
- For the 2-10 person rooms there is a deposit of 15 euro for each room key which will be returned at check out when the key is returned.
- The use of a locker is free and there is one per bed. You need your own padlock which should have a hook about 5mm across (or you can buy one at reception for 4.00 euro).
- If the same name, e-mail or credit card is used in multiple bookings for a total of more than 8 people on the same day then we will apply our group payment and cancellation conditions. If the group booking is just for one night and is on a Friday, Saturday or one of the following dates around public holidays, then an extra charge of 5 euro will be made per bed booked: 27-31 December 2015, 22-31 March, 26-28 April, 5 &15 May 2016.
- Last-minute special offers are only available on online bookings and for a limited time period. Changes to existing bookings which include the special offer price may result in new (higher) prices being applied to the previously discounted night(s).
- If you want to cancel your reservation, e-mail or phone us before midnight (Amsterdam time) two days before your arrival date. If you cancel too late or do not arrive we will charge your credit card for one night's accommodation and cancel any other nights. This also applies if the date of arrival has been changed by phone or email.
- If we charge your credit card, you may see the name 'Tot Heil des Volks' on your statement.
- If you contact us to cancel your booking you must give your booking number (starting 643- or 6251- ) and arrival date.
Example: you should arrive on Wednesday but decide to cancel. To avoid being charged you need to cancel before midnight at the end of Monday (Amsterdam time). Cancellations on Tuesday are too late and you will be charged for the first night.
Read more about Shelter Hostels Amsterdam:
- The unique location of our hostels in the Amsterdam city centre
- Our group accommodation in Amsterdam.
- 10 reasons our guests think we are the best hostel in Amsterdam
- The activities that we organize in both of our hostels in Amsterdam
- The identity of our youth hostels in Amsterdam
- The things we do to be a great and cheap hostel in Amsterdam
- The location of the Shelter City Hostel Amsterdam
- The location of the Shelter Jordan Amsterdam Hostel