Anne Frank Museum: an Amsterdam must visit
The story of Anne Frank
Prinsengracht 263 is an average Amsterdam house with an extraordinary story. It is the story of Anne Frank, a German Jewish girl, born in Frankfurt am Main in 1929. After the Nazi Regime took over, she and her family had to flee to Amsterdam and hide in the Annex of Prinsengracht 263, now known as the Anne Frank House. Anne received a diary for her 13th birthday and immediately began documenting her life, thoughts, feelings, and struggles. After the Frank family was betrayed and deported to a Concentration Camp in 1944, Otto Frank was the only one to survive. He found his daughter’s diary and published it because that had always been Anne’s dream. Her story, full of philosophical questions and thoughts, became famous. It touched thousands of hearts and was translated into 70 languages.
About the Anne Frank Museum
Eventually, the Anne Frank House opened to the public and is one of the most-visited museums of Amsterdam. It gives a great view of all parts of Anne’s life, her family, and the heroes who helped them hide. The Anne Frank house contains the annex, stories from contemporary witnesses, the general story of the Jews in World War II, and so much more. The Anne Frank House also gives visitors the possibility to write in a guestbook.
The purpose of the Anne Frank Museum
Otto Frank didn’t furnish the Anne Frank House and return it to its original state (still there are original pictures and excerpts from Anne Frank’s diary). His purpose was to underline the great emptiness, which the Nazis left in many lives. So the Anne Frank House is more than just a museum. It is a symbol and a memorial for all of us,a reminder to keep our eyes open to those who are facing hardship presently and to make sure that it will not happen again.
Anne Frank House: opening hours
The Anne Frank House is open every day except Yom Kippur. In April-October, it is open from 9 AM to 10 PM, and in November-March, it is open from 9 AM to 7 PM.
Tickets – online only!
The museum is only open for visitors who have already bought a ticket online. 80% of the online tickets are available for purchase 2 months in advance. Buy your tickets on time, because the Anne Frank Museum is very very popular! Every day at 9:00 am, the other 20% of the tickets are made available for the day. Make sure you press the Refresh-button as much as you can, as tickets will be sold right away. Tickets are not sold at the door. Admission prices can be found on the Anne Frank Museum website. Buy your Anne Frank House tickets here. Please note: tickets are non-transferable and non-refundable. They are only valid for the person they are issued to and for the selected date and time.
Directions from our Amsterdam hostels
Shelter City Hostel Amsterdam – Anne Frank Museum (a 15-minute walk)
- Come out of the hostel and turn left and immediately turn right again.
- Turn right and walk straight onto Oude Hoogstraat until you reach Dam Square.
- Round the Royal Palace on the left side and walk straight down Raadhuisstraat (big main street).
- When you reach the Westerkerk (church) turn right and you will reach the Anne Frank house, on your right.
Shelter Jordan Amsterdam Hostel – Anne Frank House (a 5-minute walk)
- Turn right and walk down Bloemstraat until you reach Prinsengracht.
- Turn left and follow Prinsengracht.
- Cross the first canal.
- Turn right and you should see the Anne Frank House.
What to do when you can’t buy tickets
Of course, you don’t want to miss out on visiting the Anne Frank Museum. But there is a chance that you won’t manage to get tickets for the museum on time. To still get an impression of the Anne Frank Museum and the story of Anne Frank, check out the online ‘Anne Frank video diary’. A beautiful mini-series on Youtube with a selfie diary of Anne Frank. It is an extraordinary production that is definitely worth watching. A good option to watch when you travel to Amsterdam!